Related Books

Nuestra Señora de la Hoz de Guadalajara, Spain

Commemorated on May 11
Nuestra Señora de la Hoz de Guadalajara, Spain
By the 1140s the glowing figure of the Virgin Mary appeared to a cowboy Ventosa, was moved to Molina but disappeared and returned to find the place of discovery, where he built a chapel.
In concur fiesta of all villages in the area and also to the supplication of Butron, on 1 May, which was initiated following a plague ...
SEE VIDEOS ... ...
De Molina - Alto Tajo is a region of the Spanish province of Guadalajara, whose capital is Molina de Aragón.
In the center of the Lordship of Molina de Aragón is the Sanctuary of Nuestra Señora de la Hoz, seated in the place where the river takes Gallo sickle on its way through the term of Ventosa. There is the statue of Our Lady of la Hoz.
The enclave is a fabulous landscape of giant sandstone rocks formed about a hundred and eighty million years ago and since then chiseled by the elements.
The Sanctuary of Santa María de Molina, as it was called in the eleventh century, appears first documented in 1168.
 
THE LEGEND
The statue of Our Lady of la Hoz, is for many authors, a piece of great antiquity and value, and date back to Roman or Visigothic period.
In 1129, Alfonso I of Aragon, known as the "Warrior" Molina and conquered Earth. Between the years 1139-1150 in these lands formed an independent state under the rule of D. Manrique de Lara and his wife Mrs. Ermesenda Narbonne.
Streaking was in these years when he had the sublime miracle happen. It happened one day in those years of molinesa spring, it was when the horizon of history mingled with the demise of the legend, a cowboy Ventosa, lost one morning a cow in the herd, quickly went in search introduced in thickness forest, there he was surprised the night in the most rugged gorge, concern has prevailed, fear gripped Swain, until suddenly, three small apophyses protruding from a large rock came a great light, a divine light that blinded their eyes, illuminating the human adult and night, the pastor and drew near to the great astonishment found that the res still, was under the image of the Virgin, on a natural pedestal would leave their shelter Cowboy joy and luck meaning of the then de Molina.
At dawn, Ventosa was to narrate what happened, but in the village already knew the facts as another shepherd from the village, who had stayed near the site of events, saw how it happened. Soon the miracle was explained by the neighboring villages, born a love and devotion to this corner since then will be revered by molineses forever.
The size of the image was brought to an ancient temple which according to some was that of San Martin and others as the San Miguel church disappeared in 1924. It continues the tradition by Molina Council mandate and desire molineses faithful are led to the translation with the greatest solemnity placing the statue in the church of San Martín (also said in the church of Santa María de San Gil or San Miguel).
Moved size Molina was in that night, but the next day observed with amazement the parishioners not already there, and miraculously he was back in the corner of the apparition. Carried for the second time and placed in the same church, the image was as quietly evening during that night, but disappeared again to turn the miraculous place. These facts led to the first lords of Molina would open a path width and cleansed Canyon weed and other herbs, to build there a chapel was then called Santa Maria de Molina, to meditate and pray on it. Since then the pilgrims and the Lordship of Aragon and Castile came and come to worship and pray to the Mother of God.
 
HISTORY OF THE SHRINE
The Bishop of Siguenza, D. Joscelmo, love the place and especially the image of the Virgin, the monastery acquired the property giving in return the owner of that territory, Earl D. Pedro, second Lord of Molina, the half of the villa Beteta.
Despite this exchange, the Lords of Molina always protected the sanctuary and looked after by donations worship Nuestra Señora de la Hoz. The result of these labors was the settlement in the place of regular canons of St. Augustine in 1231. In addition, to coincide in time, the conquest and the discovery of the sacred image, the Sanctuary was born and raised even to the Lordship of Molina always having a symbolic meaning and religious unification.
Possibly, in the late thirteenth and early fourteenth saved the monastery's religious and military order of the Templars. Extinct order for trial of Clement V in 1312, he spent the sanctuary caring for Cistercian monks of Ovila near Cifuentes. These, neglected obligations by distance, pestilence and wars that ravaged the nation, leaving the ruined chapel. In this situation, the Bishop of Siguenza, D. Bernardino López entrusted to the care of the sanctuary Molina Ecclesiastical Council of the obligation to have him as a priest in charge of worship. This also showed much zeal in building conservation judging by the state of the temple in the late fifteenth century.
The molinés Knight, D. Fernando de Burgos, rebuilt the sanctuary and made a home for hermits. Demonstrated merit and no other interest than the veneration and honor of the Virgin, the Board requested the Hoz, agreed concession that Bull of Julius II by 1503.
To rehabilitate the shrine visits and pilgrimages multiplied, and it became necessary to give more regular worship Our Lady. It resurfaced shortly later, a marriage Molina, D. Malo and Jaime D. Juana Garcia, who, by selling part of his estate, founded a chaplaincy.
Until the beginning of the nineteenth century there was constantly a chaplain in the Sanctuary, although some documents are proof that sometimes had two chaplains. One by the Board and one by the Council of Clerics attending the obligations of the chaplaincy Poor Jaime Garcia and Juana.
Parallel to the story are written testimonies of devotion of the people of this region to the Mother of God: votive paintings, ethnographies ... example of the favors received from the Virgin and, simultaneously, a token of gratitude of the faithful.
Undoubtedly, for nine centuries, the Virgin, under the title de la Hoz, accompanied and protected the people.
The Shrine, with its chapel of transitional Romanesque to Gothic style, is a milestone of faith in the town's history.
 
FEATURES OF THE TEMPLE
Embedded under a huge rock mass, as San Juan de la Peña and other monasteries the same time, is the Santuario de la Hoz, a whole Gothic-Renaissance architecture with strong rural features.
The outdoor plaza, rest Gallo, pilgrims to the church is entered by an arch surmounted by two well-known dedicated tenths Mary, deeper, a wide staircase leads to the entrance of the temple whose main goal is primitive Gothic style (XIII century) on its nose is an inscription in characters of the same style on a shield, representing an eagle.
The interior has a single nave, has beautiful pointed arches clearly denouncing their bows and nervaturas an asymmetry due to the expansion made in the sixteenth century, a fact that increases in the old chapel. The ribbed arches in their shields represent the Council and the Lordship of Molina.
Entering the temple, a window overlooking rock that is embedded in the inner wall of the church and serves to pinpoint the exact point where the stage was, according to tradition, the appearance of the Virgin is seen Swains to Ventosa.
The high altar is a magnificent gilded baroque altarpiece from the early eighteenth century. This altar is the size of the image is a wooden statue, his whole entire bust sculpture, excellent quality, the clothing is made in the same relief and painted. The face of the Virgin and Child are brown and have signs of having been seated in a chair or altarpiece. This is a twelfth-century Romanesque carving, hieratic, enthroned as the seat of divinity, the divine child carries in his left hand a knob.
From the presbytery, in view from the sacristy, two altars are seen (between the gate and the main altar), which are dedicated to the Immaculate and St. Teresa, both crowned upward, vaults of the hanging of captives freed Africa, as is the case according to tradition, took Pedro Abad in Algiers.
On either side of the chancel are terraced two tables represent the prayers of the people of Tierzo and Molina respectively. Out of the gates of the sanctuary, to right and left of the main entrance to the temple, two altars dedicated to Bishop and Martyr San Blas and San Antonio. The altar of San Antonio, was built at the ancient altar of Santa Ana, who was ordered built by Martin Cortes, senior upholsterer of the Empress of Austria, Mrs. Mary, sister of Philip II. Remain as testimony of the Santa Ana, two portraits beautifully crafted table with characters on the years of that monarch, the one and the other representing a woman mourning praying. This table was probably painted in the late sixteenth century, the burial of indicating that there is portrayed.
The altar of Santa Teresa has a beautiful oil painting of the Virgin of Avila, possibly donated by the family of Rivas. Behind the main altar is the sacristy by accessed via a staircase in the nineteenth century, two rooms that serve as entrance to camerín Virgin. On the walls of these rooms hang numerous reasons for gratitude and wax votive offerings and the Bull SS Clement VIII gave the members of the "Brotherhood of Slavery of Our Lady de la Hoz" in February 1602. This brotherhood became extinct in the eighteenth century.
Outside the temple, there are other buildings with it, forming a courtyard, together with great architectural and landscape value inestimable merit: the vine affectionately embracing the oratory, the flowers branches engendering love, the water of the fountain in eternal song , poetry imagining orchard of the sky, being the rock ceiling and shelter, and the silence of meditation flooding covering the whole thought.
In the sixteenth century, the reform that made Fernando Burgos House Santero with a single plant, which is entered through door with arch reminiscent of a Romanesque flavor and keeping harmony with the chapel was built. Was also built at this time one today heavily modified "inn" for pilgrims and hermits, by subsequent reconstructions not very well done; still be seen in the courtyard walls and the ground floor rooms, numerous platerescas plaster decorations, architectural and ornamental details of the sixteenth century, some grotesque shield Ecclesiastical Cabildo and delicious sgraffito plaster frieze, with biblical, mythological and hunting scenes typical Renaissance.
 
PARTY IN HONOR OF OUR LADY
Coinciding with the feast of Pentecost is celebrated in the Shrine's main feast in honor of Our Lady of the Sickle for the account of the Board. It is the party you attend all the peoples of the region and which has a special role Molina, who represents Loas and Dances before the image.
In addition, twelve villages near Shrine celebrate their prayers on certain days.
Corduente pilgrimages opens and closes on April 25 (San Marcos) and 30 November (St. Andrew) respectively.
Molina de Aragón celebrates May 1, with the name of Butron, the oldest dating from 1140 rogativa according vow he made this city by pledging to lose one person per family Molina, the council of clerics and Municipal corporation.
Wheel of Sierra comes on the first Sunday of May Sanctuary fulfilling a vow made by the people in the seventeenth century.
Corduente repeat rogativa Monday before Ascension.
Ventosa (the host) Terrace, Rillo de Gallo, Channels and Blacksmith Molina celebrate their exemplary coexistence rogativa the Tuesday before the Ascension.
Teroleja Torete and converge in the Shrine on Saturday before the Ascension.
Valhermoso low also in supplication to venerate the Virgin the following Saturday at San Antonio.
Tierzo, the last Saturday in June, continues to fulfill the vow that their ancestors did in 1653 when a plague ravaged the population and killed 21 people, was entrusted Nuestra Señora de la Hoz and the plague ceased. In gratitude to the designated grant pledged to go on praying penitent attitude (dressed in hoods).
 
Rogation of BUTRÓN
The supplication that the City of Molina and the Ecclesiastical Council of this city, made on 1 May to Santuario de la Hoz, known by the name "Butron" is one of those cases where its principles date back through the time winding centuries. The cause, a plague or calamity befell the molinés Lordship, by which the people of the land went to his patroness Nuestra Señora de la Hoz who performed the miracle.
When this event took place exactly: it is something that is unknown today. There is no documentary or parchment note we clarify this mystery. Some historians are inclined because supplication is made from the time of the apparition of the Virgin in the twelfth century, others believe that it started in the years of Mrs. White, in the thirteenth century. In the copy of the will of Mrs. White who performed Francisco Diaz in 1474, is a note that says: "Also in this village of old time here has promised and vowed to make the said town a procession to the shrine of Our . Ms. de la Hoz the first day of May each year in the service of God, our Lord, and of His Blessed Mother and veneration of this holy and devout chapel, which often get used go to the Chapter of this procession Lords clergy of this town and many individuals of her and others' neighbors.
Also the fifteenth century, there is a document, which is a request for Molina to the Prelate of Siguenza, demanding to grant him the usual procession on the feast of the supplication. The document is dated in 1654.
In the beginning the "Butron" was a prayer in which all molineses neighbors were obliged to send her an individual family. It was directed by the Ecclesiastical Council and civil and judicial authorities of the time. Molina began the procession without interruption came to the Sanctuary.
In 1501, he says, there was a great slaughter and took back Butron great strength. In 1762, Antonio Moreno in his book "The heavenly on the banks of Gallo Nimpha" describes rogativa as it was in his time "It is unfinished usual in this referral day (May 1) at 6 or 7 in the morning, at which time regularly cited, and both communities Hall and Ecclesiastical Council was convened go in procession to the Church of St. Mary Mayor of San Gil of this town for the Sanctuary. And proceed with the greatest circumspection, and composure to the square of the Convent of San Francisco, where two communities are separated from those individuals who are destined to go to the Shrine. VA represented this Noble Villa in their Corregidor, or Mayor, Aldermen two gentlemen, your Commissioners, the Attorney General Trustee, Constable, and others as one of the Scribes and the City Proper receiver Villa. Accompanies the Illustrious Lordship represented in his Ecclesiastical Cabildo Abad and two Capitulares choosing the Cabildo chapter five. "
Currently, is still held so dear rogativa of Butron. On the day of May 1, after meeting municipal and ecclesiastical authorities Molina, by the Board of the Virgin and all citizens who wish and after moving in their vehicles at the entrance of the ravine, make procession to the chapel, there are developed civil-religious acts, after which the City Council invites citizens to bread, sardines and wine. Later, the final procession takes place, with the rogativa goodbye.

http://forosdelavirgen.org/70/nuestra-senora-de-la-hoz-de-guadalajara-espana-11-de-mayo/ 

Shrines

Resources

Additional information