Related Books

Virgen de la Luz
Tarifa, Spain (1750)

Commemorated on December 3, September 8
Virgen de la Luz Virgen de la Luz Coronada is an invocation of the Virgin Mary venerated at the Shrine of Our Lady of Light located in Dehesa Caheruelas of eight kilometers from the town of Tarifa ( Spain )

History

It is the image holder Pontifical and Royal Congregation of Our Lady of Light . From 1789 leaves his sanctuary to travel the five miles distant from her sanctuary to rate . It does so accompanied by a Grand Parade Agricultural named attractions of Andalusia. Once it is received in the village begin the festivities in his honor. The fourth Sunday in September will return to its sanctuary, but not before celebrating the day before the act of consecration of Tarifa its patron.

Intercession is the most prominent at the Battle of Salado where King Alfonso XI implores the Virgin "Light, more light." Victory in battle is achieved by inteseción of Our Lady of Light
Faced times of drought brought the people in the known image prerogatives. He called for rain fields might bear fruit, since rate is a largely agricultural and fishing village. By the intercession of the Virgin rained several days and fields recovered from drought that whipped.

Description

The image of Our Lady of Light shows us the traditional model of Hodegetria Virgin, the Virgin driver or carrier of the Child. In front position, size represents the Virgin Mary standing contrapposto with his left leg slightly forward in an attitude of His Son to show people, who holds in her left arm and right hand resting on one knee . The Child Jesus, dressed in a long baton, originally showed his blessing with his right hand, which currently carries a scepter, along with the Orb or globe-attribute of Christ the Savior-on hand holding left, symbolizing his kingship and merciful power. Traditionally image appears covered by a false cloak and shawl, which were attached to size eight silver studs and completely hide polychrome sculpture except face and hands. Children also usually wears a batoncito fabric and silver shoes. However, since its restoration in 2009 by the conservator-restorer sanluqueño Jesús Guerrero García, throughout the month of May, the image is exposed in its undressed sanctuary to enable faithful and devout contemplation of the perfect size and polychrome.
Anonymous author, the first certain data of the brotherhood of Our Lady of Light could overcome it documented until 1550, fitting therefore within the Renaissance. The image style fits perfectly within the civil law, typical of the Seville school of the second half of the sixteenth mannerism and in particular, the size clearly meets the standards and recalls exceedingly models montañesina school. However, its composition somewhat rigid, static block, the face still somewhat hieratic, almost deadpan, somewhat distant and solemn way, do not allow a reliable attribution of Alcalá la Real master (1568-1649), horse and between the Renaissance and Baroque.
Note that the polychrome and stews Virgin recovered in 2009 are not the originals, but were made to a comprehensive restoration to which the image was submitted by the Sevillian painter Diego Gutierrez in May 1726. Since then it is not known any other intervention on the size, although it has been confirmed that the hands of the Child Jesus should not be either of the original because the right initially had to be in the act of blessing for the work carried out in 2009 , as disclosed antique prints until the nineteenth century. Beneath the surface paint layer during the restoration by Jesus Guerrero the existence of the original color of the sixteenth century, which has seen fit to keep hidden to the ignorance of their condition and the significant value is also evident polychromatic visible eighteenth.

Approval

It was canonically crowned on June 16, 2013 by the Bishop of Cádiz Bishop Don Rafael Zornoza Boy.

Shrines

Santuario de la Virgen de la Luz

Santuario de la Virgen de la Luz (Tarifa, Spain)

In the XIV century the sanctuary appears Our Lady of Light , patroness of Tarifa .   According to legend was built by Alfonso XI to commemorate the victory at the Batt...

More info

Resources

Additional information