Related Books

Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles (Our Lady of the Angels), Getafem Spain

Commemorated on May 24
Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles (Our Lady of the Angels), Getafem Spain
Fe found in the Cerro de los Angeles and the town of Getafe soon built a chapel there for that image, under the pontificate of Pope Benedict XIV the first privileges granted in their worship.
SEE VIDEOS ... ...
Our Lady of the Angels is the Patroness of Getafe, a picture in thin and delicate contours, is an Immaculate sculpted in 1610.
Getafe is a Spanish city located in the southern part of the Community of Madrid and is one of the most populous and industrialized municipalities in the metropolitan area of Madrid. It is situated 13 km south of the center of Madrid, in a flat area of the Central Plateau of the Iberian peninsula, and the basin of the River Manzanares.
Legend has it that shepherds who used to spend with their cattle Glen San Marcos, took refuge in the Cerro de los Angeles during a stormy night. When lightning strikes near the remains of a chapel that existed there, they saw, once the noise of thunder were extinguished, the light did not fade. At first they thought that the glow came from a fire, and as he approached, they saw that it was the image of a small Virgin.
Like the shepherds were to continue their path, given the effigy about swains, who took her to Pinto. When they went to tell the story to the local priest, noted with astonishment that the image was gone. These same guys, a few days later, they were playing at the foot of the shrine of the Hill, when they found back to La Virgen. The down to Getafe, one of the altars of the Church. But, once again, the effigy disappeared again. The priest came to believe that the Virgin wanted to settle in the Hill and found it there.
In 1612, facing a terrible drought , the town of Getafe offers prayers procession moving the image to our Parish of St. Mary Magdalene. The same will be done on several occasions (1726 and 1750) as a remedy for public calamities, obtaining the grace of the Lord through Saint Mary begged.
In memory and appreciation every year Getafe Catholics celebrate a feast in honor of St. Mary of the Angels on Monday after Pentecost , preceded by a novena ending on Saturday, the eve of Pentecost, with the solemn elevation of the sacred image and the singing of the Salve.
HISTORY invocation
Conquered the Villa de Madrid or Magerit, by Christian armies commanded by Alfonso VI, was built in the Cerro de los Angeles with a small chapel to honor the Virgin, which had disappeared in the late fourteenth century.
There is evidence that the first day of the feast of Our Lady of the Angels on the hill its name was held last Sunday in April 1616, and being down to Getafe in 1618, for the first time because of a great drought.
In 1700 war broke out called Succession, which bloodied Spain for seven years. Had occupied the throne King Philip V.
It was then a village in which Getafe municipality had lots of vineyards, whose wealth was almost lost in that contest. Must have suffered great damage in the Chapel worship and presumably remain seriously affected this primarily because the present seems to have been built by then, to present the construction style of the time.
1735 is the magnificent chariot, true work of art as well as the arch bearing the image in processions on Sunday and Monday, where you can read the following inscriptions: "Francisco Torres and Jose Estrada, me fecit, year 1739 and this bow and was being overcrown own cure this place Dr. Diego Santos Reolid ".
In 1807, the curate of the place of Getafe, don Miguel Rosillo Montoya, wrote a Novena. For the different writings of the time we know the intense cult had the Virgen de los Angeles in those years. written a year after the Ninth, the French armies of Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte invaded Spain and on May 2, 1808 the people of Madrid started the fight. Again had to be suspended in the Ermita cults, and many objects of the congregation vanished.
After the war Mr. Ortiz de Natalio Lanzagorta EL City Council convened in a group of neighbors Getafe in order to restore the services. The commission conducted the formalities to get the canonical establishment of the Congregation on November 20, 1817, writing for them the first Constitutions.
It does not seem that during the nineteenth century some suspension of worship to Our Lady of the Angels, despite being told prodigal century wars and revolutions, but do not directly affect our people occurred.
Queen Dona Maria Cristina, wife of Ferdinand VII, frequently visited the Hermitage and later would the Infanta Isabel, sister of Alfonso XII.
In the early years of the twentieth century were numerous pilgrimages to the Shrine of the Cerro de los Angeles, some with character real event , such as those held in 1910 and the October 16, 1916. On May 30, 1919 Opened the Monument dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, with the assistance of King Alfonso XIII and the highest authorities of the Nation.
Having reached the difficult days between the years 1931 to 1936, not why they stopped always held religious festivals and during those years down the image of the Virgin to Getafe on Ascension Day to celebrate Pentecost processions and other cults, with the exception of last year, they had held in the Cerro, attended by many of the faithful.
At the beginning of the civil war the image of the Virgin was at the altar of his chapel and although Hill was the scene of terrible violence, the image was respected, not suffering any damage. Except one of the artillery bombardments carried from Madrid on Hill, in which a Granada burst into the chapel and its fragments pierced the arc without hitting the Virgin.
The head of the national forces warned the Mayor of Getafe, Juan Gomez de Francisco, the danger to the image remaining in his hermitage and although the soldiers came down from the altar and taken to their guesthouse, recommended he come to be the pick a place to leave Getafe. The next day he was placed in his Chariot and moved to Getafe by a group of local youths. She was taken to the parish church to pass within a few days, at the Chapel of the Convent of the Sisters of the Holy Family where he remained for several months until one evening while celebrating a ceremony in his honor, and as a result of bombing Getafe, Granada broke one in a location near to the image without it suffered any damage. It was then taken to St. Joseph Hospital, where he remained until the end of the war.
The image remained in Getafe until 1940 when it was uploaded to the Hill to the MM Carmelite Chapel where he remained until his return to Chapel on May 27, 1945.
On October 2, 1955 Hill presided over a solemn ceremony, following the day of the Province and, months later, on December 8, 1955, the Bishop of Madrid-Alcala, Don Leopoldo Eijo Garay, proclaimed Patron Party Judicial Getafe.
The image of Our Lady of the Angels is a fully carved and polychrome sculpture of an Immaculate Conception. He was subsequently add a moon at her feet, an arc of lightning and a pedestal also angels.
The true measure of the Virgin, ie, its length is 105 cm,. Added the rest are of later centuries. The arch measures 160 cm. high, the base of the nineteenth century is 60 cm. and the crown about 31 cm. This embodies the current image of the Virgin of the Angels with a total height, from the base to the crowning arc of 217 cm. and a width of approximately 114 cm.
In the eighteenth century, the carving of the Virgen de los Angeles was decorated to give prominence to what it represented: the image of Mary, Mother of Christ. This was coated, covering size, with fabrics that formed his robe and cloak, with natural hair to create a wig, with gold and silver engalanarla with crown, a bow, a crescent and jewelry, making this way the Queen of Heaven.
The carving of Our Lady of the Angels is dressed in the symbolic colors of the Immaculate Conception are white tunic and blue mantle. White means purity of Mary and blue immortality or taking on body and soul into heaven. To this the symbols that surround and appear in the Apocalypse of St. John bind: "And there appeared in the sky a great sign, a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and on her head a crown of twelve stars "[Revelation XII, 1].
The Virgin of the Apocalypse is pregnant, she nurses her son Jesus Christ representing the sun and she goes brilliance of this star in him, which is referred to "being clothed with the sun". This brilliance is represented by the arc surrounding with gusts and lightning. The Virgin wears the moon under her feet, because she represents the other star that governs our lives but that is less important than the sun. Also in the Song of Songs [VI, 10] is defined as: "Who is this that rises like the dawn, beautiful as the moon, bright as the sun?".
Our Lady of the Angels takes on his head twelve crowns and 26 stars, which is the multiple of twelve and two [12 +12 +2]. Twelve is a perfect number, and twelve are the tribes of Israel, the Apostles, ...
Other symbols are their hands together in an attitude of prayer and the base of clouds with angels, trying to raise it to the sky or keep already on it.
It was built on a watchtower and Arabs regarded the Geometric Center when Spain conquered the city of Madrid by Alfonso VI in early eleventh century. It is a humble and modest structure dedicated to Our Lady of the Angels.
This chapel was destroyed in the late fourteenth century, later rising to the same place we admire today. In the early eighteenth century the chapel had become too small and had to enlarge. In 1750 the tower was rebuilt. Between 1771 and 1773 the main access is renewed to allow passage of the bandwagon in 1774 to design the master carver John Maurat to move the image.
It consists of a ship is 36 meters long and 11 meters high, its construction is limestone, exposed brick, covered in Arabic tiles and slated spiers. Due to its plan and elevation, the Hermitage is a Madrid Baroque church of the last third of the seventeenth century.
Is richly decorated, gilded and painted inside. Their altar is simple, less remarkable in relation to the factory, a little after chronologically temple and houses all year to Our Lady of the Angels. One body and kick or semicircular spine in four twisted pairs of two columns and a broken entablature. At its center the Virgin of the Angels and the spine, Canvas Crucifixion.
Its main facade is restored, crashing into the west side a modern neoclassical door. Your plan is a Latin cross, with outgoing and marked cruiser, and although this does not appear by the annexed porch in the south and other buildings on the north side. The apse is rectangular. The barrel is covered with blind lunettes in the apse, large semicircular dome on scallops and octagonal drum, esbeltísima, on the cruise, and the transepts also covered with barrel vaults with lunettes window. The central nave and is also covered with a barrel vault and lunettes blind (five sections, of which the easternmost is the Tribune).
On the south side is a portico attached triple arcade with direct access to the central nave. The tower is located on the west side of Toledo rig (brick and masonry), covered with baroque capital. The whole rig is an exquisite brick, for completion, especially on the outside of the drum of the dome over the transept and in the last part of the tower which has a very thin brick applications.
The Patron Saint of Getafe forty days after Easter Sunday celebrated meaning that are held each year on a different date in mid to late May and early June.
The festivities officially begin on Saturday, but unofficially kick off gives it a pilgrimage that takes place nine days before the day of the Ascension, which is down from the Cerro de los Angeles to the patron saint, the Virgen de los Angeles .
On arrival at the village, the mayor gives the virgin baton city symbolically and then conclude the pilgrimage to the Cathedral of Getafe. That day make lemonade tradition in places like the Town Hall Square.
The "Saturday in the holidays," as it is popularly known, begins with a cry in the Plaza of the Constitution followed by mascletá in Garden Street. During these days, a fair is mounted at the fairgrounds, the booths of political parties standing on Railroad Street, next to the Central Train Station and numerous cultural activities Getafe, some concerts, small faults are, and several bullfights. A week after starting the festivities a procession through the city center where candy and other trinkets are thrown celebrated.
The Patron Saint of Getafe concluded eight days after the proclamation with the ascent to Cerro de los Angeles virgin leaving the village until the following year.




Additional information