Related Books

Nossa Senhora do Desterro (Florianópolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil)

Commemorated on February 17
Nossa Senhora do Desterro (Florianópolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil)
On February 17, 1673, according to local tradition, fortune-hunter Francisco Dias Velho of São Paulo founded the town of Nossa Senhora do Desterro on Santa Catarina Island in southern Brazil. Dias Velho occupied the area with his family, two Jesuits, a few other Portuguese Brazilians, and hundreds of Indian workers. From their settlement grew the present city of Florianópolis, and from its chapel the Cathedral, named for the city's patron, Our Lady of Exile, honored annually on this date. A sculpture in the Cathedral shows the Holy Family on their way to Egypt after an angel warned St. Joseph in a dream that King Herod wanted to kill the child Jesus. Carved of lindenwood by the Demetz workshop in the Italian Tyrol, the statue was blessed May 30, 1902.

Source: http://www.wherewewalked.info/feasts/02-February/02-17.htm

 www.fatima.com.br. Information from the Cathedral's website, cat.arquifloripa.org.br/index.shtml, and other sources.)

History

The February 17, 1673, according to local tradition, a fortune hunter named Francisco Dias Velho, São Paulo, founded the city of Nossa Senhora do Desterro on the Island of Santa Catarina in southern Brazil. Dias Velho occupied the area with his family and others, hundreds of indigenous workers, and two Jesuits.
That name is a tribute to the flight into Egypt of the Holy Family.
 
Since its settlement grew the present city of Florianópolis, and from the chapel of the Cathedral, the name of the patron saint, Our Lady of Exile, which is honored every year on this date.
 
A sculpture in the cathedral shows the Holy Family on their way to Egypt after a San Angel warned Joseph in a dream that King Herod wanted to kill the baby Jesus.
 
The image is carved in lime wood by Demetz workshop in the Italian Tyrol, the statue was blessed May 30, 1902.
 
Florianópolis is the capital of the Brazilian state of Santa Catarina, named in honor of the former president Floriano Peixoto, replacing its former name "Nossa Senhora do Desterro" (Our Lady of Exile).
 
THE FLIGHT TO EGYPT
Shortly after the adoration of the Magi, an angel appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, 'Rise, take the child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the child to destroy him "(Mt 2, 13).
The Holy Patriarch, without discussing God's orders, immediately went in with Jesus and the Virgin, and the same donkey that used on the route from Nazareth to Bethlehem
 
The trip was long and painful, but also with many consolations. Legend has it that a palm tree near the Virgin, wearing the Lord, bowed and came off at your virginal hands.
 
Also tradition says that on another occasion, the Holy Family was attacked by thieves, but they did him no harm, in response to the request of a young member of the band, which later became the Good Thief, who died in our cross next to the Lord, and was worshiped under the name of San Dimas.
 
Arriving in Egypt, the Holy Family settled in a small cave in the city of Heliopolis, where there was a Jewish settlement and a temple in honor of the true God, which almost equaled the magnificence of Jerusalem.
 
The Holy Family in Egypt spent long months, until one day, Herod died, an angel of the Lord returned the Patriarch San Jose, during sleep.
 
He ordered the ambassador of God "Rise, take the child and his mother and go to the land of Israel, who died because he wanted to kill the child." San José, immediately took the Divine Child and the Virgin, and go to the land of Israel. "But hearing that Archelaus was reigning in Judea in place of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there, and I warned in a dream, he withdrew to Galilee. There, they lived in a city called Nazareth, fulfilling what had been foretold by the prophets' will be called a Nazarene "(Mt 2: 20-23).
 
OUR LADY OF EXILE IN SANTA CATARINA
Initially the Spanish called Santa Catalina as the island where is its historic center, then received the name in Spanish and Portuguese Santa Catharina and Santa Catarina and officially the name of Our Lady of Exile, during the nineteenth and early twentieth century Brazilians called it Desterro. Since the late twentieth century is often colloquially Floripa is the call and was apode "Magic Island" the latter is said, because there are several alchemists sought refuge during the Spanish colonial period both as Portuguese.
 
To anyone visiting Florianopolis Cathedral striking him a beautiful sculpture of Our Lady of Exile, placed on a side altar. This is a set representing San José pulling a donkey, and the Virgin Mary and baby Jesus in her arms.
The image is carved in lime wood by Demetz workshop in the Italian Tyrol, the statue was blessed May 30, 1902.
 
The capital of Santa Catarina, for over two centuries, was called Nossa Senhora do Desterro. Thus, was born around the chapel with the invocation, built in 1673 by Francisco Old Blas, who died heroically after a few years in the church itself, in defense of the nation against an attack by pirates.
 
However, in 1894, to honor the second President Floriano Peixoto, the Republicans changed the pious name of the capital of Santa Catarina de Nossa Senhora do Desterro to Florianópolis ...
 
OUR LADY OF EXILE TODAY IS Florianópolis
The first inhabitants of the region of Florianópolis were the Tupi-Guarani Indians. Practiced agriculture, fisheries and shellfish for subsistence.
 
Evidence of their presence is found in the shell mounds and archaeological sites whose earliest records date back to 4800 BC.
 
In the early sixteenth century, toward the Río de la Plata ships landed on the island of Santa Catarina, to stock up on food and water.
 
However, only about 1675 is that Francisco Dias Velho, along with his family, opened the colonization of the island with the founding of Our Lady of Exile (Florianópolis) played an important political role in the colonization of the region.
From this date to Sao Paulo flow and Sao Vicente and several other parts of the coast intensifies. In 1726, Our Lady of Exile is appointed villa.
 
The island of Santa Catarina, has an enviable strategic position as the vanguard of the Portuguese dominions in southern Brazil, becomes a military occupation in 1737, when they begin to build strengths needed to defend their territory. This resulted in an important step in the occupation of the island.
 
With the occupation, had prosperity, agriculture and the manufacture of cotton and linen, being left today, remnants of the past in relation to the art of making cassava flour and bobbin lace.
 
At this time, the mid-eighteenth century, the deployment of the "owners" for whaling in Armacao da Piedade (Governador Celso Ramos) and Marco Pantano do Sul (Florianópolis) occurs, the oil was sold by the Crown to bring economic benefits to the region.
 
In the nineteenth century, was raised to city became the capital of the province of Santa Catarina in 1823 and a period of prosperity was inaugurated, with the investment of federal resources. improvements were designed in the port and the construction of public buildings among other civil works. Political modernization and organization of cultural activities was also highlighted, scoring including preparations for the visit of Emperor D. Pedro II (1845).
 
With the advent of the Republic (1889), local resistance to the new government led to a move away from central government and reducing their investments. The victory of the forces led by Marshal Floriano Peixoto found in 1894 renaming of the city Florianópolis, in honor of this officer.

Source: http://forosdelavirgen.org/549/nuestra-senora-del-destierro-brasil-17-de-febrero/ 

Shrines

Resources

Additional information