Related Books

Madonna delle Vittorie / Our Lady of Victories (Maserada Sul Piave, Treviso, Veneto, Italy

Commemorated on July 9
Madonna delle Vittorie / Our Lady of Victories (Maserada Sul Piave, Treviso, Veneto, Italy
Not far from the parish, following avenue Caccianiga, we find the small temple dedicated to Our Lady of Victories. It was erected in 1717 by the Venetian doge Carlo Ruzzini right next to his villa in the countryside.
Inside the noble took place an image, that is a copy of the one in the church of St. Stephen in Vienna, which presents the Holy Virgin with her Child. Popular legend attributes to this icon miracles after the apparition of the Madonna to a fancuilla called Zanetta Bariviera in July of 1722.
The date of appearance is still remembered today thanks to solemn ceremonies. In the second centenary of the foundation of the temple that fell in 1917 Bishop Longhin, bishop of Treviso, solemnly he crowned the sacred icon that was brought in different cities of the Veneto after the days of Caporetto. It returned to the country on July 6, 1919, drawn by four horses, with the trophies of victory.

History

MASERADA SUL PIAVE
 
(TREVISO - IT A LY )
 
 
 
The villages inhabited permanently, from which grew Maserada, had existed since the early centuries after Christ, 
in the stretch of floodplain between the Postojna and the river Piave. Its history and its territory 
are marked by the events related to this river and the ancient Via Postumia, the consul 
Postumius Albino Spurrier in 148 AD. In a late-Roman, the place where this road meets the Piave, 
they had to rise the villages where militias and travelers were catering to the fatigue of the long marches, 
before crossing the river. The most fertile part of the country was cultivated from the bondage of some valiant 
soldier awarded the grant of a farm. Often the passage of armies led looting and 
destruction. In 1995, during the excavation of the foundations for the construction of a private house 
in the center of Maserada, they were found jewelry glass paste, belonging to a young girl, of which have 
recovered the teeth and part of the skull. They demonstrate, along with shards of amphorae and roof tiles, the presence 
of small communities in the Lombard period, in the sixth and seventh centuries AD After Mille, spent 
a long period of neglect of agriculture, land barren and uncultivated, tormented by floods River, 
were affected by intense land reclamation by the monks and indigenous people. 
At the locations you use the term "Macerata", or "Maceriata", which Maserada, for the appearance of the area 
plagued by floods and by floods that left anywhere pebbles. Soil Treatment accumulated 
also these materials at the edge of farmland, along ditches in both cases many ruins 
characterized the environment. In 1231 Pope Gregory IX enumerates the "vicus de Maceriata" between the 
chapels of which was equipped with the Abbey of Sant 'Eustachio Nervesa. It was a village of rustic cabins 
and huts of stone with thatched roof, but it comes with its own church dedicated to St. George, Knight 
and Christian martyr of oriental origin.
 
  
................ ............................. GLORY OF SAN GIORGIO (GBCanal) .............. ............................... Fresco in the parish church of Maserada
 
The parish church of Maserada, built on the foundations of the previous one and consecrated 
in 1795, expresses the balanced blend of baroque and neoclassical architectural instances. 
It was painted by the Venetian painter Giambattista Canal , which featured on the walls, in eight 
pictures, the biblical story of Joseph jew. Soffittto on the main body, including the Sacrifice 
of Isaac and Jacob's Dream, is painted the glorification of St. George, while that of the 
presbytery can admire the Resurrection. The walls of the presbytery were painted by Fabio Canal, 
father of Gian Battista which is also the baptism of Jesus in the niche of the baptismal font. 
The large altarpiece of San Giorgio, located behind the beautiful marble ciborium of the main altar, 
is the work of unknown and it was bought in the late seventeenth century, when Maserada rose to the 
rank of parish. It was one of the few religious buildings in the area to come out unscathed from the war.
 
 
 
Temple Lady of Victories (1717) 
 
A short walk from the parish, along Caccianiga avenue, there is a small temple dedicated to Our Lady 
of Victories, erected in 1717 by the Venetian doge Carlo Ruzzini, at the side of his villa in 
the countryside. The noble made you place an icon, a copy of the existing one in the cathedral 
of St. Stephen in Vienna., representing the Virgin and Child. It popular piety 
attributed some miracles, after an 'apparition of the Virgin to the little Zanetta Bariviera, which took place 
on July 9 1722. The date is remembered today with solemn ceremonies. In 1917, the second centenary of the 
foundation of the temple, the bishop of Treviso Monsignor Longhin, solemnly he crowned 
the picture, after the days of Caporetto, was taken in different areas of Venice. 
It returned to the country on July 6, 1919, drawn by four horses, with the trophies of victory.
 
Source: http://www.maserada.com/storia.htm


Shrines

Resources

Additional information